Heirloom & Perennial Ltd

  • Log in
  • Create an account

Daucus carota, Carrot - Bambino, Organic


Bambino open pollinated,  'baby' carrot variety producing slender, cylindrical blunt roots with a very small core. Smooth skin and deep orange colour, which develops at an early stage.
Best pulled when 10-15cm in length.

Prefers a good light warm well-drained soil and plenty of moisture.

Prefers a sandy or calcareous loam.

Plants are extremely sensitive to soil conditions, good roots can only be produced in a soil that permits easy penetration of the root.

Carrots are widely cultivated in most areas of the world for their edible root, which can be available all year round from successional sowings.

The young seedlings are adored by slugs and so will generally need some protection.

Carrot root fly is also a major problem. This creature lays its eggs near the young carrots. When they hatch, the larvae burrow into the soil and then eat their way into the root. In bad seasons almost all the crop can be heavily damaged. It is possible to reduce this damage by timing seed sowing to try and avoid the worst times of infestation, a June sowing of a fast-maturing cultivar will often be successful.

There are also various companion plants that can help to reduce infestation. In general, these are strong-smelling plants such as garlic, onions and various aromatic plants such as wormwood. The idea is that these plants will mask the smell of the carrots and therefore the fly, which mainly uses scent to find the plants, will not be able to detect the smell of the carrots This method is most likely to fail when the fly comes close enough to the plants to see them and then no longer relies on scent. 

About 95% of carrot flowers are pollinated by insects, with the remaining 5% self-pollinating.

Carrots grow well with lettuce and chives but dislike dill. They also grow badly with potatoes, kohl rabi, fennel and cabbages."


You may also like:



Sold Out